Dog daycare which can also be written as dog day care is a place where dogs are being cared for on a short term agreement between the dog owner and the dog caregiver.
According to Wikipedia. the dog daycare shares similarity with child daycare. The exception is that, in child daycare, children are taken into consideration while in dog daycare, dogs are taken into consideration.
Dog owners often take their dogs to a dog daycare because of their very tight schedule, which are usually prolonged; this makes them not to have enough time for their family and dogs.
Dog daycare requirements
To start up a dog daycare, there are certain things that must be put in place, they include;
- Knowledge and research
- Search for a good location
- G et your licenses and permits
- Liability and proper insurance
- Registering for taxes
- Start-up budget
- Hiring cost
Without much ado, let us quickly look at the points listed above. Let’s see how important they can be in a dog daycare business and also why they are the very basic dog daycare requirements.
Knowledge and research:
This is essential in starting a dog daycare.
You must be familiar with the behavior of various dog breeds, and you must understand dog signs and signals to help make your dog daycare safe and well organized.
You can’t start what you know nothing about, if you do, it will lead to a fatal end. You need to know what a dog daycare is all about, the needed tools and types of equipment needed for dog day care, risks, the behavioral pattern of various breeds of dogs, how to handle an aggressive dog, a pregnant bitch, etc.
You can also get lots of information and knowledge fromYouTube.
Find a good Location:
Getting a strategic location for your dog daycare will help the growth of your dog daycare immensely.
With a good site, clients can quickly get through to you, but with a bad location, even if you are good at what you do, you will lose some of your clients.
So, it’s good that you get a good location for your dog day care business.
Remember an old saying that goes thus: “Your location determines your allocation.” So, choose your location wisely.
Also, in choosing your location, ensure that you put the demography of the area you intend to use for your dog daycare.
Licenses and Permits:
Starting a dog daycare does not require any form of license or permit of any kind from the federal government.
However, there may be state or local permits or license which you may need to get before starting your dog daycare service fully.
It is also essential that you conduct proper research on the necessary documents that’ll be required in your locality before you commence.
If you are keeping dog(s) overnight, you will need a “kennel license” as well as a dog day care license, which can cost between $500-$2000 – now, note that the cost of permits and licenses differ from country to country and from locality to locality.
Some may be free, while some may cost less than $500.
Liability and Property Insurance:
Since you are going to be taking care of other people’s properties(dogs), then insurance is a necessity to make sure that yourself and business are protected.
The insurance should cover fire, flood, property damage, and the loss of a pet (dog)
Also read: pet insurance facts
Registering for Taxes:
Every business pays tax.
It could either be to the federal, state or local government.
You have to register your business to get an Employee Identification Number(EIN). This EIN helps in identifying your dog day care as a business entity.
Here, certain expenses, apart from the above stated, should be put into consideration.
They include Toys, Beddings, Crates, food ( kibbles or canned foods). Also, rental costs should be considered too.
When choosing a place or property for your dog daycare, ensure that you go for one which provides both indoor and outdoor space and can accommodate several dogs at a time. – I know this will take quite a lot of money, but it is worth it. This is why many start a dog day care service on their land or property.
This should be put in check.
You can start alone, but when customers start coming in their numbers, you can consider hiring more hands to help you out in making work easier and faster.
This list will be incomplete if this is not mentioned.
Advertising your new dog daycare outlet one various social media outlets will help in getting lots of customers.
You can also consider print advertising as soon as you begin to get more customers
Dog Daycare Prices
There are several factors that affect dog daycare prices. Also, dog daycare prices differ from one dog daycare to another.
I will be list the standard dog daycare prices below.
The standard dog daycare prices include:
- Temperament evolution= $10 to $20
- Dog daycare prices per day= $12- $20
- For each additional dog= $8- $10
- Half day= $10
Dog day care prices prepaid packages include;
- 3day pass one dog= $40- $45
- 3day one dog= $70- $75
- 5day pass one dog= $70- $75
- 5day pass one dog= $120-$125
- 10day pass one dog= $140-$145
- 10day pass one dog= $250-$260
- 20day pass one dog= $270-$275
- 20day pass one dog= $500-$510
Profitable of dog daycare
The dog daycare is a highly profitable business and the profitability of dog daycare is certain.
A dog daycare cost ranges from $10-$50 for a full day. Now let’s assume you’ve got about 30 dogs on board and you are sure of getting at least $300 and $1500 at most. This means you are sure of getting over $2000 weekly, so you see that dog daycare services are highly profitable
Dog daycare jobs
The following are dog daycare jobs one can get involved in:
- Kennel/Day care Staff
- Playroom attendants
- Daycare attendant/supervisor
- Pet Care Specialist
- Dog Bather / Groomer Helper
- Dog Day care Attendant
- Kennel Technician
- Kennel Worker/Dog Caretaker
- Professional Dog Trainer
- Canine Coach
- Experienced Dog Groomer
- Dog Sitter
- Explosive Detection Dog Handler
- Dog Daycare Leader
- Dog Daycare Receptionist
you can find some opportunities or vacancies through this search link here
Importance of doggy daycare: Benefits of doggy daycare
- Takes boredom away from your dog.
- Eliminates the possibility of the dog starting to have Separation Anxiety
- Provides Routine for your dog
- Exercise: A dog daycare, your dog will be exercised to keep fit. With a spacious dog daycare, your dog gets to run around and play with other dogs too and also enjoy fun and exciting moments
- Owner peace of mind: Keeping your dog all alone at home, will get you thinking about what your dog could be up to while you are away, but getting them enrolled in a dog daycare, will give peace of mind. As you are very sure your dog is in safe hands
- Socialization: A dog daycare allows your dog to socialize and make friends with other dogs. – Make friends with new dogs, and interact with the other dogs in a safe environment.
- Safety: In a dog daycare, the safety of your dog is 100% assured
- Affordable: Yes, it is affordable. Keeping your dog at a dog daycare cost $10-$40 a day( all dog daycare services which includes feeding are included in the fee).
- Flexible: A dog day care is very flexible, as they offer various services, all at a time.
- Supervised Playtime: Every dog day care has got supervisors whose responsibility is to ensure that all dogs in the facility are looked after; this includes during playtime.
- Less stress, and more cuddles: Yes, they stand to gain this from a dog daycare
- Improves Your Dog’s Confidence: Taking your dog to a dog day care will help immensely in boosting your dog’s confidence.
- Excellent Solution for Busy Owners: Yes. The dog daycare is the best option for every busy dog owner. The dog daycare will give the dog lot of opportunities to be potty trained and, at the same time, be entertained. Always consider your dog’s temperament before enrolling for a dog daycare service.
- Lots of Affection: The attendants at dog daycares are there to show and pour love on your dog(s) when you’re away.
- Variety of Services Available: There are lots of activities being offered by a dog daycare, some include: training, walking, Dog-sitting, grooming, etc.
I hope this post was valuable to you as every aspect of the dog daycare was covered.
Feel free to contribute or ask questions in the comment section below.