Obedience training or giving your dogs commands can be a very rewarding experience for both dog and owner.
Are there times when your pooch is uncoordinated, won’t listen to you or is obstinate to instruction and commands, this post is structured to help you with these tips on obedience training and also essential commands to teach your dog.
These essential commands can save the life of your precious dog.
Before I go into any sort of command, it is important that you form a bond with your dog.
It is essential that your dog must be able to respond to its name, at all times. Let’s say you are taking a stroll with your dog on a busy road and unfortunately the leash comes off. The dog has the tendency to run off and get run over by a vehicle, but a simple name calling can get the dog to focus on you to enable you gain control of the dog.
Tips to get a dog Respond to it’s name.
1) Give your dog an easy name. A name with a vowel sound in it is most appropriate
2) Always reward your dog when it comes when called. Remember that dogs live for affection and attention. This could be used as viable rewards to establish and reinforce good behaviour.
3) Never hit your dog when it comes to you after you call its name. This is because if you hit the dog after it comes when called, the dog will associate responding to its name with negativity.
Now we have established the importance of “name and responding to name” we shall proceed to elaborate on 5 essential commands to teach a dog. These include -“come”. -“sit”. -“stay”. -“down”. -” drop it ” or “leave it”
Essential Commands To Teach Your Dog
Before I start explanations on the above commands, it is important to understand that some dogs do better when food is involved in training.
– The “come ” command is very important as I’ve explained earlier .
Encourage your dog to always come to you once you call its name. Reward your dog with affection or treats when it comes to you upon being called.
– The “sit” command is quite important because it encourages the dog to be in a submissive position. It also helps the dog relax .
One tip here is to make sure your dog sits before you pet the dog or before your dogs eats it’s meal
– The “down” command is quite similar to the “down” command but in this context, the dog has to go prone i.e to lie on its belly. It is also an important command especially to ensure the dog is calm and very relaxed.
– The “drop it” command or “leave it” command is the most important command you could teach your dog . Let’s say your dog picks up an object that could choke it or cause affixation. A simple drop it command could save the life of the dog.
These 5 essential commands could be practiced informally through the course of the day. It is important to note that time and patience are key virtues to have when teaching your dogs commands.
Repetition of commands is also important.
I recommend teaching or having training sessions with the dog in the morning before the dog has its first meal.
Praise your dog every single time it responds to your commands.
By following these simple tips, you are sure to get success in teaching your dogs.
Precaution: – Training should be done in sessions
– Treats should be used as a motivation. It should be used when necessary. Do not over use as this could bring in some negative attitudes.
– Do not use force(beating, kicking, slapping etc.) in training.
– Always ready after a job well done.
I hope these were helpful. Give us feedback in the comment box